Exam by Live Remote Proctoring – Preparation and Technical Requirements
If you think the live remote proctored exam is the best option for you, please review these technical requirements.
- Ensure your computer is set up for remote proctoring. Testing computers must have a detachable web camera, microphone and broadband internet access. If the testing computer has a built-in web camera and cannot be moved to scan the entire room, candidates must have a 5″x 6″ or larger handheld mirror that the virtual proctor can use to scan the testing room.
- You will not be able to use a tablet since tablets do not allow you to share your screen with a proctor. If you plan to use a work computer, you must have administrative rights with permission to disable the firewall for remote access.
Here is a list of what you need:
- Laptop or desktop computer (Windows or Mac only). Dual screens are not allowed.
- Webcam, microphone, and speakers
- Stable broadband internet connection – minimum 500 Kbps download and 256 Kbps upload; we recommend 5Mbps or higher upload and download.
- A wired connection is preferred over wireless (WiFi)
- Current version of Google Chrome or some other Chromium-based browser is best.
- Chromebooks, tablets, and cellphones are not compatible and cannot be used. Touchscreens cannot be used.
- Flash player (for PC users)
- Ability to download and install a small program: PSI’s secure web browser (provided the day of the exam). In work environments with firewalls, you must have administrative access to disable the firewall. This must be ensured prior to taking an exam on a work computer. The compatibility test does not test for administrative rights and firewalls.
- Candidates must be able to use the computer in a private room without interruption.
For PC users:
- Windows 7, 8, and 10 are compatible. To find your window version, right-click on the window icon and select “run” in the box labeled “open” type in the word winver. Press enter.
For Mac users:
- Version 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14 operating systems are needed. To find out what version you have on a MAC, click on the Apple icon and click on “about this mac.” Firefox and Chrome are supported for use on your PC but not Edge or Internet Explorer. For Mac users Safari, Firefox or Chrome can be used.
Testing the Computer: From the Windows or Mac computer you are going to use to take the exam, you must check to see if the computer is compatible for Live Remote Proctoring testing by clicking on and checking these two links:
Compatibility Test LinkWebcam Test Link
NOTE: If you are not using a personal computer or if you are using a work computer you must ensure you have administrative rights for the secure download prior to your exam. The compatibility link does not check for administrative rights to disable the firewall.
If your computer is compatible, you can proceed to Learning Builder to register to take an exam. If not, try another computer or consider taking the test at a PSI Testing Center.
Please refer to the Certification Candidate Handbook for complete information on eligibility, remote exam policies and other requirements for taking the CPAN or CAPA certification exams.