The American Board of Perianesthesia Nursing Certification, Inc. (ABPANC) is responsible for developing, sponsoring and managing the Certified Post Anesthesia Nurse (CPAN®) and the Certified Ambulatory Perianesthesia Nurse (CAPA®) nursing certification programs. These national professional certification programs are designed for registered nurses caring for patients who have experienced sedation, analgesia and anesthesia in a hospital or ambulatory care facility. ABPANC currently certifies more than 12,800 perianesthesia nurses who have earned the CPAN and/or CAPA credentials.
Perianesthesia nursing is a unique nursing specialty requiring its own professional certification program as a means to protect the public. ABPANC sponsors two certification programs for qualified registered nurses caring for patients who have experienced anesthesia, procedures requiring sedation, and analgesia: CPAN and CAPA programs.
The CPAN and CAPA certification programs have maintained accreditation by the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC), since 2004. ABSNC is the only accrediting body specifically for nursing certification. ABSNC accreditation is a peer-review mechanism that allows nursing certification organizations to obtain accreditation by demonstrating compliance with the highest quality standards available in the credentialing industry.
No CPAN/CAPA candidate for initial certification or recertification will be denied the opportunity to participate in the ABPANC certification and/or recertification program on the basis of ethnicity, race, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Recognizing and respecting the unequaled excellence in the mark of the CPAN and CAPA credential, perianesthesia nurses will seek it, managers will require it, employers will support it and the public will demand it.
Elevating perianesthesia nursing excellence, knowledge, and patient advocacy through certification.
ABPANC’s mission is driven by:
- Its commitment to professional practice and advocating the value of certification to healthcare decision-makers and the public;
- The administration of a valid, reliable and fair certification program;
- Ongoing collaboration with ASPAN and other specialty organizations;
- Evolving psychometric and technological advances in testing;
- Legal and regulatory standards
The following values provide the framework and context for the work of the organization:
- Excellence – Promotion of excellence in perianesthesia patient care is the driving force behind ABPANC’s existence, contributing to quality patient care.
- Integrity – ABPANC values integrity as a commitment to a fair certification process.
- Innovation – ABPANC values innovation as an integral part of continual learning, development and improvement within our sphere of influence.
- Dedication – Dedication is reflected in our celebration of perianesthesia nursing and the certified perianesthesia nurse.
- Diversity – ABPANC is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion by ensuring the dignity of individuals and valuing the strength in our differences.