ABPANC relies on the knowledge and expertise of CPAN® and CAPA® certified nurses to guide our organization’s future efforts. Please review the information below to find a volunteer opportunity that best allows you to impact perianesthesia nursing and CPAN/CAPA certification.
ABPANC Board of Directors
ABPANC seeks individuals who are passionate about the perianesthesia specialty and certification. While this passion is expressed in many ways, often including membership in one’s professional organization, it is not a requirement for ABPANC service. Since ABPANC is a certifying organization, it is precluded by law from requiring membership in any professional association, including ASPAN, as a requisite for service on the ABPANC Board of Directors.
Why consider volunteering with ABPANC as a member of the Board of Directors?
As an ABPANC Volunteer, you have the unique opportunity at the national level to contribute to the development of the CPAN® and CAPA® certification programs that recognize and promote excellence in perianesthesia nursing practice and, most importantly, are in the best interest of perianesthesia patients and their families.
Further, you have an opportunity to:
- as nurses, give back to a profession that you’ve built a career on;
- ensure the quality of care delivered and make a positive difference in patient outcomes;
- influence national standards and practice;
- advocate for perianesthesia patients and their loved ones at a global level beyond your immediate environment;
- grow professionally in areas you’re not exposed to every day;
- network nationally with colleagues beyond the walls of your own workplace;
- be recognized as a national leader within your profession; and
- collaborate with other national professional organizations and their leaders
Deadlines and Process
Note: Nominations have been extended through Jan. 17, 2022. Self-nominations are welcome.
January/February: Phone interviews of qualified candidates will be conducted by the Nominations & Elections Committee.
April/May: Election occurs at ABPANC Spring Board Meeting
July 1: Term of office (2 years) begins for new Board Members and ECC Co-Chairs
To apply to serve on the ABPANC Board of Directors, complete the following by Jan. 17, 2022:
- Step 1: Download the Nominations & Elections Handbook.
- Step 2: Compile the following documentation:
- Letter of Intent: A letter of intent, addressed to the ABPANC Board of Directors, should indicate your willingness to be considered for the position you are seeking. Describe what you feel you would contribute to the Board of Directors, specifically, and to ABPANC, generally. Include a description of your professional and personal goals.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Professional Reference: Please submit two letters of reference from two people (one from your supervisor is preferred) who can speak to how you demonstrate the related competencies for the position you are seeking.
- Step 3: Download and complete the following forms:
- Disclosure Statement and Acknowledgement of Fiduciary Responsibility
- Honor Statement
- Background Report Consent: ABPANC will conduct a criminal background investigation on all nominees who are finalists for positions on the Board of Directors and Co-Chairs of the ECC.
- Step 4: Submit materials as a single PDF attachment to ABPANC CEO Krista Bower at firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 17, 2022.
If you have any questions, please contact Krista Bower, ABPANC CEO, at email@example.com.
Subject Matter Expert
ABPANC is conducting an open call for volunteers to participate in exam development activities for the CPAN and CAPA certification programs in 2022. Volunteers who participate will gain an understanding of the certification exam development process and play an essential role in the ongoing development of the CPAN and CAPA programs. Learn more and apply.
Become a certification coach
The ABPANC Certification Coach is interested in assisting CPAN® and CAPA® examination candidates, at the grassroots level, to prepare for the certification examination. Volunteers for this position are able to speak passionately about the value of CPAN and CAPA certification and are willing to assist and encourage not-yet-certified colleagues in becoming certified.
The coach may organize study groups and serve as a resource to perianesthesia nurses seeking certification. Through the study group the coach recruits, supports and promotes CPAN and CAPA certification in the institution in which they are employed, or at a district, state and/or regional level.
Job DescriptionAgreement to Serve
As a Coach, you receive three (3) contact hours for becoming a coach, and three (3) contact hours for each individual you coach, and can earn up to 60 contact hours in a 3-year recertification period to apply toward recertification.
For further information, or to sign up now, please contact Zelda Williams, ABPANC Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABPANC Leader Resource Team (ALRT)
The ABPANC Leader Resource Team (ALRT) is comprised of former members of the ABPANC Board of Directors, current and former ASPAN Board members, former Champions, and current and former Component leaders at the national, regional, or state level who are interested in promoting ABPANC through communicating the value of CPAN®/CAPA® certification. These individuals are invited to join this team and are willing to supplement the current ABPANC Board of Directors in exhibiting and attending other identified meetings in their region. For more information about the ALRT program, please contact Zelda Williams at email@example.com.