Eligibility Requirements for Recertification
- Current, unrestricted RN license in the US or any of its territories
- A minimum of 1200 hours of perianesthesia nursing practice during your three year period of certification. Nurses working as direct care givers, managers, teachers or researchers in the perianesthesia specialty, are eligible for recertification*.
- Successful completion of either the CPAN® or CAPA® examination (whichever credential you currently hold) OR attain 90 contact hours of continual learning as defined in the Recertification Handbook.
- Beginning with those whose certification status expires November 1, 2009, submission of an online application is due by the deadline.
* Beginning with those candidates applying for the April 2007 CPAN or CAPA examination for initial certification, the 1800 hours of clinical experience must be accrued through direct, hands-on experience caring for perianesthesia patients regardless of whether the individual is working as a manager, educator or researcher in the perianesthesia environment. This requirement of direct, hands-on care of patients does not apply to those seeking recertification if working as a manager, educator or researcher in the perianesthesia environment.Contact ABPANC for more information.
Audit of Recertification Applications
ABPANC reserves the right to audit any or all applications and supporting documentation for recertification.
ABPANC randomly audits a certain percentage of certified nurses seeking recertification. If you have been selected for Audit, you will be notified in the First Renewal Notice sent to you approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of your certification status.
Submission of an application indicates your agreement to comply with the terms of the audit process. Documentation requested during the audit process that is not submitted or is unacceptable will result in denial of recertification.
Please do not submit your recertification application and materials until after you receive the First Renewal Notice informing you whether or not you have been selected for Audit.
Please follow the instructions listed in the Recertification Handbook describing the process for submitting an online application if selected for Audit.